Debate and disputation are not only encouraged within Judaism but reside at the very heart of Jewish history and theology. This six-session course will explore six fundamental conflicts that have pitted the greatest Jewish minds against each other--six instances of vastly divergent perspectives from throughout our history, including several that remain questions for us today.
Discover a stirring and surprising account of Judaism’s intellectual history, from the ancient to the modern-day; as you relive epochs rich in narrative that provide fascinating context for six of the most monumental intellectual and theological debates in our history.
The parade of characters presented in this course spans two millennia of biblical, rabbinic, and modern disputation, reflecting the panorama of Jewish history with its monumental political, ethical, and spiritual challenges.
• Rabbinic authority and the interpretation of the Divine word
• What role does nationalism play in Judaism?
• Is rationalism an acceptable approach to Divine worship?
• Can we force the Divine hand to hasten the redemption?
• Is religion designed to be a personal and private affair, or one to be flaunted in the public domain?
• The To-Do about Chassidism – Why the opposition?
Great Debates in Jewish History
Rabbi Yisroel Levine
The Academy – Center for Jewish Life
per person - $50.00
couple - $70.00
(includes textbook and material)
This course is also available at our Thousand Oaks Satellite on Thursday evenings instructed by Rabbi Chaim Bryski. Call 805-493-7776 to register.